Sunday, December 26, 2010

Who would put themselves out for you ?


 Now I sure if some people I know will take this the wrong way, but it is not a dig at anyone. Just my thoughts on what is happening in this modern world we live in.

There was a time when you would not think twice about helping your neighbours and living on a road which is ¼ of a mile long and only has 6 houses, I always try to help them. All be it that sometimes it is not the help but the time of day they ask for help which may get to me from time to time. Saying that, both of the 2 nearest neighbours to me always thank me to the stage I get very embarrassed.

Back to my point. If someone is talking about something and I think I can help, I will jump in and offer. I know that is my fault and I am learning not always to do that now. But if I think I can help then I will say.
I have done such a wide variety of jobs helping people from repairing computers, rewiring a friend kitchen, completely fitting a kitchen, repairing unlimited amounts of electrical good, helped a friend with a little bit of tractor driving and even went to catch a hamster under a friends floorboards. The list goes on and on, which I must add I did not charge a penny for.

Now this is where it gets my back up. Most of the time I will offer to help. It is only rarely that someone asks me for help. This is my choice and I am not bothered. But how many times does someone offer to help you? Very few. Now when I have ask for help. Sometimes I will get a little, but most of the time I get “ Sorry I am a bit busy at the moment”. In other words, I don't really want to help you. Even my best friend was going to help me with these blog postings, typing and grammar, but I have ended up doing them myself. And that is not another dig either.

I will throw a question in at this point. Is it just built in to some of us to help others or is it something we learn? If we learn it I do not know where I learned from as I can not remember my Dad helping many people.

I have really shortened this posting because no one want to be reading about these sort of things at time of year.
So to sum up. Who would put themselves out for you? And the answer is a lot different and not as many as you think. To start with I thought loads, but after careful thinking I got down to a few you could count on 1 hand. After that I also started thinking how many of these few would offer help and the answer you would probably find is none.

Just remember, this is not a dig at anyone I know but an observation by me. Also things can change in your life which can also change other people thinking.
ColinH

No comments:

Post a Comment